~ this page is under construction~
What are Anabolic Steroids?
Anabolic Steroids are synthetic drugs developed to mimic the natural hormones testosterone and dihydrotestosterone. These hormones increase muscle mass of the body. Testosterone is also the hormone that naturally causes changes in facial hair, deepening of the voice, sex drive, and development of the penis and testicles.
What to look for before you inject:
- Packaging is sealed and intact;
- Print on labels is clear and the same on all vials;
- Expiry date has not expired;
- All vials should have the same lot number and expiry date;
- Rubber stopper and metal covering are secure;
- Liquid in the vial is clear with no floating bits; and
- All vials look the same and have the same amount of liquid.
Equipment: Injection equipment should not be shared, as there is a high risk of Hepatitis C and HIV transmission
What you need to inject more safely:
New sterile equipment needs to be used for each injection. Please note that cleaning used equipment will not kill all bacteria.
1. A sterile syringe (2-3ml syringe)
2.Sterile needles: two needles: one to draw up the solution from the vial and another to inject the drug into your muscle. You don’t want to use the same needle twice as it can become dull.
- a 18-23 gauge needle that is 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, to draw up the drug
- a 21-25 gauge needle that is 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, to inject into the muscle
3. Alcohol swabs- to clean injection site and the stoppers of multi-dose vials
4. A biohazard (sharps) container – to put used needles and equipment in. If you do not have a biohazard container any hard plastic container with a lid will work (examples: pop bottle or laundry detergent bottle)
You should not inject more the 2 ml of fluid into a muscle at one time. Injecting more than 2 ml affects how the drug is absorbed and increases your risk of developing an abscess.
The thickness of the needle is measured in gauges ( the smaller the gauge the thicker the needle). The needle must be thick enough for the drug to pass through and long enough to reach into your muscle (if injecting into the buttock you will need a longer needle).
Supplies: You may pick up an unlimited supply of any the previously mentioned equipment at either of the following locations:
Turning Point has a limited supply of free supplies available.
4611-50 Ave, Red Deer AB Phone: 403-346-8858
The Ross Street Pharmacy has an extensive supply of barrels and tips for sale. We have heard only positive experiences from people accessing the Pharmacists related to safer injection. 4814-50 Street, Red Deer AB Phone: 403-340-1800
For additional information on steroid please go here, email us or call Turning Point at 403- 346-8858.