Sometimes the process to become set up to participate in a new program can be tricky. Here is the process that AHS has for naloxone site registration. When a site registers and is approved, then will then be able to order naloxone kits through AHS, and then offer opioid overdose prevention training, prescriptions and dispensing. Reversals will be captured through Health Link.
To be a naloxone dispensing site you will need:
- Trainer(s) and prescriber(s) at your site.
- Trainers: health care professionals (e.g. Counsellor, Licenced Practical Nurse, Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Physician). Trainers must go through the e-learning module here: http://cdm.absorbtraining.ca/#/login
- Prescribers: Physician, Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, prescribing pharmacist
- To register your site – see the form attached (also available on the AHS website below).
- To order naloxone kits from AHS (done after registration).
- Provide overdose response training to clients, write a prescription for the kit (sample prescription available online), and dispense the kit – dispensing record must be filled out prior to issuing a kit.
- Naloxone kits obtained through the AHS program are free of charge to clients
- To complete the monthly on line survey as a condition of the program.
Please note that kits should be ordered in small numbers (i.e. 5-10 per order initially). Restocking will be available.
See more information here: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/info/Page13663.aspx